Sunday, April 19, 2020

WCW Nitro #44: July 15th, 1996. (Rewatched 19 April 2020).

Here we go again, time for the second entry in my WCW rewatch blog. Today we're going to be talking about WCW Nitro #44 (July 15th, 1996). This episode, once again, took place at Disney-MGM Studios in Orlando, Florida. A beautiful backdrop for Nitro, if I must say so! This episode was the first appearance of Hulk Hogan as Hollywood Hogan, wearing all black. Even watching it now, it takes me right back to watching it when I was younger!  So, without further ado, let's go ahead and get into the action and talk about this episode!

The Show

Tag Team Match: The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) defeated Fire And Ice (Ice-Train & Scott Norton) (10:43)
- That was a solid match. The Steiner Brothers were an incredible tag team.  They had great in ring chemistry.

Singles Match: Dean Malenko defeated Billy Kidman (5:13)
- I forgot Kidman was a pretty boy before he joined Raven's Flock.  Basically a jobber at this point.

WCW World Tag Team Title Match: Harlem Heat (Booker T & Stevie Ray) (w/ Sister Sherri) (c) defeated Rough 'n' Ready (Dick Slater & Mike Enos) (w/ Col. Robert Parker) (7:39)
- Harlem Heat is one of the most dominant tag teams in the history of the game.  They worked so well together in this match, and had some killer intensity.

Singles Match: Madusa defeated Malia Hosaka (4:07)
- Hey, the first women's match of my rewatch.  I don't remember Malia, she must have been a jobber.  Madusa definitely dominated this one.

Singles Match: Meng (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Arn Anderson (10:58)
- I forgot how tough Meng is.  And I'll never get tired of seeing Double-A in action.

Singles Match: Eddie Guerrero defeated Chris Benoit by Count Out (9:38)
- As I mentioned last time, it's hard to comment on Chris Benoit due to what he did.  But you can't discount his talent.  And wow, Eddie Guerrero, he is missed.

WCW World Television Title Match: Big Bubba Rogers (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Lex Luger (c) by DQ (11:30)
- I forgot how good Lex Luger looked back in the day; dude was in shape!

Post-Match/End of Show

- I remember this moment so vividly from my younger years.  Seeing Hogan show up in all black - that was a big deal.  It still feels surreal seeing it, 24 years later.  And I remember how crazy it was to hear Hulk Hogan being booed.  The show cut off as the WCW locker room emptied out to the ring to take on the nWo.  But that's what made Nitro good, honestly.  So many episodes ended like this and they made you hunger for more.  You couldn't wait until next week to see what happened next.

Random Thoughts


  • More Glacier promos this week.  As noted last time, they're genuinely awful.
  • These old commercials are wild, along with the random ad placement.  I forgot about 1-800-Collect.  And wow, I forgot about WCW Magazine.  I used to subscribe to that.
  • It's been really cool watching the nWo gradually taking over WCW.
  • I forgot how good Mongo was on the mic.  Dude can really cut a promo.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WCW Nitro #59: October 28th, 1996. (Rewatched 13 June 2020).

We are 24 hours removed from the last WCW PPV:   WCW Halloween Havoc 1996 !  This episode took place on October 28th, 1996, and was held a...