Tuesday, May 5, 2020

WCW Nitro #50: August 26th, 1996. (Rewatched 5 May 2020).

We are back for another episode of WCW Monday Nitro! Tonight's episode is WCW Nitro #50, which was held in the Manatee Civic Center in Palmetto, Florida.  This was a particularly cool Nitro because it saw Ted DiBiase show up after leaving the WWF, as well as the WCW debuts of Chris Jericho and Juventud Guerrero.  Aside from that, the usual WCW/nWo shenanigans, and a Nitro that ended with a nice, big brawl, and lots of spraypaint!  So, let's get into it!

The Show

Singles Match: Juventud Guerrera defeated Billy Kidman (3:40)
- This is what WCW did really good at, their young talent.  Kidman was great, but Juvi was awesome.  This was actually his debut match.  I remember writing "Juvi Juice" on my notebooks in middle school back in the day, but I don't think we're at that point yet.

Tag Team Match: Big Bubba Rogers & Kevin Sullivan (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Jim Powers & Marcus Alexander Bagwell (w/ Teddy Long) (4:20)
- One thing I like about old WCW is that the matches vary from week to week.  They aren't repeats of the same stuff over and over again.  They really knew how to keep it interesting.  And I love Buff Bagwell.  He was one of my favs back in the day.  I like that Bubba Rogers was like, "Yo, where's Glacier?" after the match in a promo.  They made me laugh a little.

Singles Match: Chavo Guerrero Jr. defeated Mike Enos (4:35)
- Mike Enos has some killer entrance music.  But Chavo's is better.  And man, he looks young.  Every time I see him I'm like, wow, Chavo is young.

WCW World Cruiserweight Title Match: Rey Misterio Jr. (c) defeated Mr. JL (14:04)
- I forgot that Jerry Lynn used to wrestle in a mask back in the day.

Singles Match: The Giant (w/ Jimmy Hart) defeated Jim Duggan (4:34)
I forgot a lot of these matches happened.  But it was pretty cool watching Hacksaw take on The Big Show.  During the match, Ted DiBiase came out.  Apparently this was his WCW debut after leaving the WWF in May of 1996.

Tag Team Match: Arn Anderson & Ric Flair (w/ Miss Elizabeth & Woman) defeated The Rock 'n' Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson) (4:28)
- Flair is one of the all time best on the mic.  Dude was on a high tonight, for sure.

Singles Match: Alex Wright vs. Chris Jericho - No Contest (4:52)
- Hey, it's Chris Jericho's debut!  Wow he looks young.  This was a fun match.  I love Alex Wright, I can't wait until he starts dancing.  And I'm looking forward to Jericho's WCW run.  It was pretty good from what I remember.

Tag Team Match: The Steiner Brothers (Rick Steiner & Scott Steiner) defeated The Blue Bloods (Earl Robert Eaton & Squire David Taylor) (3:29)
- I'll never get tired of the Steiner Brothers.

Tag Team Match: Chris Benoit & Steve McMichael (w/ Debra McMichael, Miss Elizabeth & Woman) vs. Lex Luger & Sting - No Contest (5:42)
- After the match, a big melee between nWo and WCW.  This was the one where Hogan spray-painted Ric Flair's hair.  I remember that one.  They got that epic heel heat though, fans were throwing stuff steadily into the ring.  Cups, bottles, all that.

Random Notes

  • Another Glacier promo.  They've been running these for a minute.  These promos have been running since April.  His Nitro debut won't happen until September of 1996.  So we're about a month out!


No comments:

Post a Comment

WCW Nitro #59: October 28th, 1996. (Rewatched 13 June 2020).

We are 24 hours removed from the last WCW PPV:   WCW Halloween Havoc 1996 !  This episode took place on October 28th, 1996, and was held a...